Learn how to make this delicious sourdough raspberry galette that is the perfect Valentines day dessert to enjoy with your loved one, or even just yourself! This sourdough raspberry galette is an easy dessert that has the benefits of sourdough but the sweetness of a fruit dessert. It is the perfect tart treat for your Valentine.
Valentines Day has always been a day my husband loves. Ever since we started dating, he took Valentines day very seriously, and would bless me with so many wonderful goodies on this day.
In 2017, I came over to his home and he made chocolate covered strawberries all on his own for me. The chocolate was chocolate chips so it didn’t mold, but it was the sweetest thing that let me know he was the one. Besides, a way to the heart is through the stomach right?
One of my husbands favorite foods is raspberries. Anytime we go out to eat or go to bakery, you can bet he is buying something that has raspberries in it. He even tried to attempt making raspberry beer at one point. Trying is what matters, right?
This Valentines Day I wanted to make him a Valentines Day dessert that contained raspberries just for him. Although my husband loves desserts, he is not a huge sweets person. Therefore, I wanted to make something for him that he would truly enjoy. Of course, I had to add sourdough to it because it’s nutritional and absolutely delicious.
Let’s just say it’s going to be something we really could have more than one piece of.
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
A galette is similar to a pie but different in some ways. It is made from pie crust, but baked differently from a pie. However, a pie is a sweet dessert that has a crust and a filing that can have a bottom and top crust (or without) that is baked in a deep dish.
Galette’s are a pastry where the crust is wrapped and contains fruit in the middle. Therefore, the top is usually left opened, and is baked on a baking sheet.
A galette, to me, is a simpler version of a pie with a light buttery crust. Also known as a pastry that is less sweet than a pie.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SOURDOUGH?
Sourdough has been made for hundreds of years and there is a reason. It contains naturally occurring bacteria which is very beneficial for our guts. There are many people who suffer from gluten issues since our bodies don’t digest phytic acid very well. However, sourdough ceases the phytic acid making it easier to digest. Therefore, many people that suffer from gluten issues can more than likely consume sourdough bread (as long as it is signed off by a doctor).
Overall, it’s super beneficial for our guts and it tastes amazing!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I make a small commission at no cost to you.
TIPS FOR MAKING SOURDOUGH RASPBERRY GALETTE:
- Make your dough (pie crust) the night before. This way the sourdough can ferment, and it is one less step to do the day of of making the galette.
- Be gentle with this dessert. It is delicious but very fragile.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is one I believe you will find yourself making time and time again because:
- A dessert that is super simple to make, especially because you can store the sourdough pie crust in the freezer for a later day.
- It is delicious. I could not believe how much I loved this dessert when I made it for the first time. It was super yummy, and my husband definitely approved.
- Galette’s make a fruit dessert so much more enjoyable. I feel that desserts can be centered around foods that contain chocolate or birthday cake, but this dessert changes the name of the game for fruit desserts.
- You can change it up and use any fruit for this recipe.
- One could call it a pie, but it’s different from a pie. I feel pies can be heavy, but this dessert is little lighter and the buttery crust makes it absolutely decadent.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THE GALETTE IS DONE?
Your galette is done when the fruit is bubbly and the crust is a golden-brown color. It is pure, golden deliciousness.
SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
1 Cup Cold Butter
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Sourdough Starter
1 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Salt
3 Cups Raspberries
2 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Arrowroot Powder
1 Tbsp Milk
1 tsp of Sugar (Any kind) for topping
HOW TO MAKE SOURDOUGH RASPBERRY GALETTE
THE NIGHT BEFORE:
Make the sourdough crust.
1. Cut the cold butter into smaller pieces and put in a mixing bowl.
2. Use your hands to work the butter into the dough until it is fully mixed together (especially the butter).
3. Add in the sourdough starter, honey, and salt.
4. Work it into the flour and butter mixture, until it is all mixed together. Be careful of over-mixing it though.
5. Set aside for 8-12 hours.
THE NEXT DAY:
Turn the oven onto 350 degrees.
Make the Filling.
1. Add 3 cups frozen raspberries to a mixing bowl.
2. Pour in honey (or sugar) and arrowroot powder, mixing gently.
Make the Sourdough Raspberry Galette:
1. Roll out the crust to about 13 inches around. It does not have to be a perfect circle.
2. Pour the filling onto the crust, leaving about 3 inches of the crust.
3. Fold the ends over to create this beautiful crust around the galette. Take your time with this.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and gently set the galette onto it.
5. Brush the crust with the milk and top with sprinkle with a little sugar.
6. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
Valentines Dessert Collab
I have teamed up with 3 other bloggers to do a Valentines Dessert Collab where each of us share our favorite desserts to make for valentines day!
Chey – Living Like Were Country
Chey made Mini Strawberry Pound Cakes and I am already drooling over them! I love strawberry desserts, especially during valentines day so I feel I need to make this for me and my husband.
Make sure to check out Chey from Living Like Were Country
Recipe: Mini Strawberry Pound Cakes
Jennifer – Silver City Farmhouse
Jen decided to make her delicious peanut butter kiss cookies with hershey kisses and I am here for it! They are definitely a favorite cookie of mine, and I cannot wait to try her recipe form this!
Go check out Jen from Silver City Farmhouse
Recipe: Peanut Butter Hugs And Kisses
Miriam – The Tailored Nest
Miriam has made her delicious Baklava, something I KNOW I need to try! I have personally never made this recipe, but man, doesn’t this sound delicious? I will definitely be making this soon!
Head on over to see Miriam’s recipe from The Tailored Nest
Recipe: Baklava – Unique Valentine Treat
Sourdough Raspberry Galette
- 1 Cup Butter
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sourdough Starter Cold
- 1 Tbsp Honey or Sugar
- 3 Cups Frozen Raspberries
- 2 Tbsp Honey or Sugar
- 1 tsp Arrowroot Powder Or Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Sugar For Sprinkling over the galette after baking
- Make the sourdough crust.
- Cut the cold butter into smaller pieces and put in a mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to work the butter into the dough until it is fully mixed together (especially the butter).
- Add in the sourdough starter, honey, and salt.
- Work it into the flour and butter mixture, until it is all mixed together. Be careful of over-mixing it though.
- Set aside for 8-12 hours.
- Turn the oven onto 350 degrees.
- Make the Filling.
- Add 3 cups frozen raspberries to a mixing bowl.
- Add in honey (or sugar) and arrowroot powder, mixing gently.
- Make the Sourdough Raspberry Galette:
- Roll out the crust to about 13 inches around. It does not have to be a perfect circle.
- Pour the filling onto the crust, leaving about 3 inches of the crust.
- Fold the ends over to create this beautiful crust around the galette. Take your time with this.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and gently set the galette onto it.
- Brush the crust with the milk and top with sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER